14 – 20 March is Nutrition and Hydration week
Nutrition is how food and drink affect your body, and good nutrition is making sure you get the right amount of each nutrient by choosing the right foods to eat. Each food contains different nutrients, these are:
The food you put into your body has an impact on your health. Here are the top 5 reasons why good nutrition is important.
1. Boosts your immune system – Your immune system is your bodies defence system; it helps fight against disease.
2. Boosts your energy levels – Your body gets the energy it needs from the food you eat mainly carbohydrates, fats and protein. Foods like wholegrain bread and starchy vegetables like potatoes are digested slowly releasing energy over a longer period.
3. Boosts your mood – a diet rich in iron, omega-3 fatty acids and iron protein, positively affects your mood.
4. Helps you become and maintain a healthy weight – eating well helps you to maintain a healthy weight for your height. Being either overweight or underweight has negative consequences for your general health.
5. Improves your general Well-being – Having more energy allows you to be more active, which in turn improves both your physical and mental health.